YouCreate Lab Policy
The purpose of the YouCreate Lab is to provide library patrons with a space where they may use various digital media technologies that support their educational, professional, and personal goals and endeavors.
The YouCreate Lab is available to Park City Library users ages 12 and up. Users ages 11 and under must have an adult accompanying them in the lab at all times. If you are between the ages of 12 and 17 you must have a parent or legal guardian sign the form. You do not have to have a library card to use the YouCreate Lab but you must have valid school or government issued identification.
The YouCreate Lab computers may be used for two hours at a time. The computers may be used for longer if there is no one waiting to use them. No more than 6 people may be in the lab at one time.
The 3-D printer(s) and the digitizer(s) are available on a first come, first serve basis. If there is a queue, users are limited to one session (a scan and print job) per day. The library’s 3-D printer(s) and digitizer(s) may be used only for lawful purposes. The public will not be permitted to use the library’s 3-D printer(s) and/or digitizer(s) to create and/or scan material that is:
- Prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
- Obscene or otherwise inappropriate for the library environment.
- In violation of another’s intellectual property rights. For example, the printers will not be used to reproduce material that is subject to copyright, patent, trademark, or trade dress protection.
Items printed from the library’s 3-D printer(s) not picked up within seven days after being printed become the property of the library. Items must be picked up by the individual who printed them using an ID.
IV. LIBRARY LIABILITY
The Park City Library is not liable for any loss, damage, or expense sustained by any user due to the use of the YouCreate Lab services, equipment, software, advice or information. Library staff is not available to assist in the transporting or transferring of supplies, equipment, or furniture to and from the media lab.
The Park City Library is not responsible for any object created with the use of any equipment in the YouCreate Lab and is not liable for any copyright, patent or trademark infringement, personal injury, illness, or death arising out of the careless, reckless, or negligent use of the equipment.
Behavior in the YouCreate Lab is to be consistent with the library’s Patron Behavior policy. Internet and equipment usage must be consistent with the library’s Internet and Electronic Resources Use policy. These policies can be found on the library website under the policies section or they can be viewed at the library front desk.
VI. ITEMS & LOAN PERIOD
Some YouCreate Lab equipment is available to check out for in-library use and some is available to check out and use outside of the library for 2 days, with no holds or renewals. The individual who checks out the equipment is responsible for any damage or misuse of the equipment. Users who lose or damage equipment will be charged the replacement cost of the equipment.
Ten dollars per day will be charged for equipment returned later than closing time of the second day. Patrons may be held financially responsible for any YouCreate Lab equipment that is damaged or lost while checked out to them and the Park City Library may file a police report and press criminal charges. Exceptions/adjustments may be made at the discretion of the Library Director.
VIII. 3-D PRINTING COST
The library will charge 5 cents per gram for 3-D prints. The prints will be weighed at the front desk and users will need to pay for the prints before leaving the library.
First time users must read the YouCreate Lab Policy and Rules and sign this form stating they will comply with these rules and that they are financially responsible for any misuse or damage to equipment. Users younger than 18 must have a parent or legal guardian sign this form. Users that do not comply with the Lab policy and rules will lose their privileges to use the Lab and to check out Lab equipment.
- The YouCreate Lab is open during normal library hours but closes 30 minutes prior to library closing.
- No food or drinks of any kind are permitted.
- A key will be checked out to an individual using a valid ID. The individual who checks out the key will be considered the main user and is responsible for any damage or misuse of the equipment, even if a group is working on a project together. Users must not leave equipment unattended while it is checked out to them.
- Priority will be given to users working on YouCreate projects. Others will be asked to use the public Internet computers.
- It is the responsibility of the library patrons to delete and/or remove any of their files (digital or print) from library equipment in the media lab. The library is not responsible for equipment or files (digital or print) left behind.
- Temporary digital storage is available for YouCreate Lab users. However, all equipment that contains storage capability will be erased upon return to library staff and once erased, data can-not be recovered. It is recommended that users erase all data before returning equipment to the library.
- Be respectful to the next person coming to use the YouCreate Lab. Be sure to save your work in a timely manner. Please note that larger files take longer to save. Any work saved on the li-brary computer will be deleted once you are logged off and cannot be recovered.
- Loans of in-house YouCreate Lab equipment will be available for all Park City Library users with a valid ID. A complete list of in-house equipment is available in the YouCreate Lab, at the front desk, and on the library website. These items must be returned directly to the front desk before the person leaves the library.
- Loans of YouCreate Lab equipment (to use outside of the library) will be allowed for users who have a valid Park City Library card. YouCreate Lab items must be returned directly to the front desk by their due date. All checkouts and check-ins of this equipment will be handled at the front desk. Overdue fines of $10 per day will be added to the user’s account for each item that is late. A maximum of 2 YouCreate items can be checked out at one time.
- YouCreate Lab items must be returned to the service desk inside the library and may not be returned in the book drop.
- Patrons must complete a mandatory training, provided by library staff, on how to use the 3-D printer and/or the digitizer. They must have a “certification” form on file before they can use the equipment.
- Patrons must report any accident or incident that occurs in the YouCreate Lab to a staff member immediately.
- Patrons agree that any piece of equipment becomes unsafe or in a state of disrepair, they will immediately discontinue use of the equipment and notify library staff.
- Patrons must stay for the first 10% of a 3-D print job and must cancel any print job that is failing.